Friday, October 15, 2010

Make Your Own...Sausage!

 

Some people think I'm crazy for wanting to make as many things as I can myself.  I make EVERYTHING I possibly can from scratch for three reasons: 1. I like to eliminate as many additives in food, household items, etc. from my life (and the environment) as I can. 2. I am crafty, and it saves money. 3. I enjoy taking on an insane amount of projects that I may or may not get around to.  So I'm going to start posting "Make Your Own" ideas that can help you cleanse your home and the environment, save money and commit to projects that you may or may not get around to, too!


Sausage is one of those things that I try to stay away from in the store.  It's packed with sodium, additives for freshness and color, and sometimes fillers.  This is a quicky way of making sausage; if you own a meat grinder do it the old-fashioned way by all means but I don't.  So this is a shortcut, five minute way of making sausage for the rest of us.  If I'm making a breakfast sandwich I made them thin an big enough to cover my bread of choice.  I used 1/2 lb 93/7 ground turkey and 1/2 lb 96/4 ground beef, but you can use whatever you have on hand.  And a sidenote: only use the rolls of ground meat at the store.  The snakey looking stuff doesn't have the right texture and it WILL crumble and fall apart on you. Trust me :/  Also, if you use really lean meat like I did, you might want to add a tiiiny bit of oil to the pan, to help with browning.


Sausage Seasoning
Prep Time: 3 minutes       Cook time: 3-4 minutes
Cost $2.18                         Servings: 4-6
1 lb. ground turkey, ground beef or a combination
1 ts. ground sage
1 1/4 ts. salt
1/2 ts. garlic powder
pinch of onion powder
1/2 ts. crushed red pepper


1. Place meat in a bowl, add all spices and mix thoroughly.  Cover with plastic wrap and use within 2 days.

No comments: