Monday, September 20, 2010

Sahoor Blueberry Muffins

Now THOSE are some muffins, right?!
Hi guys, it's been a while! I apologize for my extended hiatus.  My original intention was to take some time off of Facebook during Ramadan, which turned into a hiatus from the Internet all together.  But I'm back, and I have some product reviews and recipes from my time away.  Let's start with some GREAT blueberry muffins I made at the beginning of Ramadan to eat at sahoor, the morning meal Muslims eat before we begin our fast for the day.

Any Muslim with a few Ramadans under their belt can tell you that there is no amount of food or beverage that you can scarf down in the morning that will make up from abstaining from eating and drinking all day.  On the flip side, as soon as it is time to break the fast our eyes tell us to pile up plates with delicacies of all kinds...but alas, our tummies nearly explode after half the plate.  With all this said, I made these blueberry muffins from a recipe I found on FoodNetwork.com that you can get here.

The muffins turned out very well.  They looked beautiful, were moist and tender, and the recipe called for just the right amount of blueberries so that each bite had a piece of berry in it.  They had soft of a cake-like texture, and I loved the cracked effect on top.  I used a standard ice cream scoop like this one and it made twelve perfectly sized muffins.  It's a good recipe for those who don't consider themselves "bakers" since it doesn't require a lot of equipment and the method is pretty straightforward.  They make a great breakfast with some fruit, or a good snack.  I'll be tweaking this recipe with my new favorite snack dried cranberries soon, so look out for that but for now try out this tasty version.

No comments: