Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Sukkar Sick Day.

I had intentions on making some comfort food in the form of beef stew today since Shaheid (my husband) has been asking for it for some time. After coming down with a slight cold last night, and a day of delays @ the doctor's office then at the polls*, I was left with little time to execute the slow-cooked, all day flavor I was looking for. Instead I opted for what was already defrosted: GROUND TURKEY. If your family is anything like mine, the mere mention of ground turkey incites a chorus of moans and groans unless it is in spaghetti. Turkey is a very mild protein that can be quite lovely when given some flavor to work with. My imagination was on hold today while my body felt a little under the weather, so turkey burgers were the best I could do. Here's my favorite way to prepare moist & juicy turkey burgers. They're simple, but virtually fool-proof. And hey, it's my first recipe, what do you expect?

Turkey Burgers
1 pound of LEAN ground turkey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons egg substitute
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl by hand, and form the meat into a small flat disc. Score the disc lengthwise and crosswise, and form each section into a patty. Be sure to put 2 thumbprints in the middle of the patty to prevent "burger bulge". Cook the patties until the juices run clear and the burgers are firm to the touch, not squishy when you touch them. Then top with cheese or other toppings. I like to cook these burgers on an indoor grill, but you could easily cook them stovetop or in the oven. Caramelized onions and barbecue sauce, any kind you like, make excellent toppings (especially together!) Today I used a New Zealand Extra Sharp Organic Cheddar that was milder than most domestic sharp cheeses, but it was smooth and melted quite well. These burgers are low fat, and the egg substitute adds moisture without adding fat or calories. Some people use water in their burgers for similar results, but I'm just not willing to give that a try today with my precious turkey burgers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is HOT Shardae. I think this is a great way to get less enthused cookers, like myself, excited about cooking. I can wait to try some of your "sukkar" recipes. You know I love sweets, especially Chocolate!!

Southernsmokecaterer said...

The turkey burgers are always great it just hard to move away from the mad cow :)