Thursday, March 25, 2010

Guess Who's Bizzack?!

Hello blogworld, I know it's been a minute but I'm back on the scene. A lot of things have changed for me since my last post in December 08. It's been almost two years since then and I can't believe how time has passed. My son is almost 2, and we have a brand new, beautiful baby girl. But one thing remains, and that's my love for food, entertaining and fun.

With that said, let's move on to what we came here for: Food!

My daughter is a month old since then my husband and I have had a renewed dedication to health and our weight loss. We are now full-fledged, scale-using, measuring cup carrying CALORIE COUNTERS. I know what you're thinking but no, I will not be bringing my own bottle of Light Ranch to restaurants with me. But I am limiting meals outside the home, which became a trend for us in the last weeks of my pregnancy and the first week or so post-partum.

So here I am, cradling a baby girl under my arm while I type, learning to love my 2200 calorie (for now) lifestyle. And what exactly does that mean for the girl who loves to cook and bake? It means I'm on a campaign to prove that healthy food can be tasty and filling!

I'm two weeks into this thing, so I'll pick up from last night and move on. Fish and chicken soon grow tiresome for the meat lover in me, and last night I wanted BEEF. Burgers anyone? YES, PLEASE! Lean beef (5% fat or less), simply seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper topped with 100 calories worth of sharp cheddar, baked Alexia Yukon gold fries with sea salt and Whitewheat 100 calorie buns. Add lettuce, tomato, onions, and pickles like I did and you have yourself a genuine burger feast!

But the topic of this blog is not really about the burger, you could have figured that out yourself. It's about taking control of food and not letting the food control you! I am guilty of turning to snacks to cure boredom, depression and sadness. But as much as I have loved food, it has yet to love me back. So I will chronicle my journey with food from a different perspective than I have in the past, and I am taking you along for the journey.


700 Calorie Burgers and Fries

Alexia Organic Yukon Fries with Sea Salt (2 servings) 260 calories
Baked with Crisco non-stick spray

1/4 pound 96/4 ground beef 140 calories

1 Whitewheat 100 calorie hamburger bun 100 calories

1 Kraft 100 calorie snack pack cheddar cheese 100 calories

Heinz ketchup, 2 tbsp. 30 calories

French's mustard, 1 tbsp 0 calories

Lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions to taste!

for a grand total of 630 calories

Season beef with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper on both sides. Cook on Foreman grill, electric skillet with drip tray or broil for 4 minutes on each side, or to you likeness. Add cheese and cover to melt. Layer ketchup and mustard on bottom bun. Add patty, and add sliced vegetables of your choice on top of the burger and enjoy with baked Alexia fries!


Compare my 1/2 pound burger AND fries to

Hardee's 1/2 pound Six Dollar Burger 1060 calories
McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese 740 calories
Whopper w/ Cheese 720 calories

No comments: